[cairo] Issues with Store-Bought v. Home-Grown builds of Cairo

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Sat Jan 22 01:50:22 PST 2011

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:31:50 -0500, Jennifer Adams <jma at cola.iges.org> wrote:
> Thanks to earlier answers I got regarding getting cairo-trace to work,
> I created a huge trace file, but I'm not sure how to interpret it. It
> contained ~77,000 fills and ~10,000 strokes. I reran cairo-trace with
> the --profile option and posted it at ftp://iges.org/pub/jma/gs.89039.lzma
>   . The output from running cairo-perf-trace on my trace file is given
> below. I have no idea whether the trace info is helpful.

The trace looks quite exciting. I never expected that so many people
depended upon non-AA rendering; it is an area ripe for improvement within
Cairo. (And also spectacularly blew up in my driver. Thanks!)  Do I have you
permission to redistribute that trace as part of cairo-traces.git? I note
that I lapsed in not specifying exactly what copyright is on those files,
I think something BSDish is best suited for examples. (Whether you consider
the trace to be purely data or code is an interesting question and depends
upon circumstances...)

Looking at the output of your drawing, I note that you did not align any
of your straight edges to pixel boundaries:

  http://cairographics.org/FAQ/#sharp_lines

If you do take the time to create sharp lines for the legend and outlines,
the graph and annotations will be much clearer; well worth the effort.

Have fun with Cairo,
-Chris