[cairo] Embedding phonetic symbols in R

Sverre Stausland johnsen at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Oct 28 19:36:08 PDT 2011

As suggested by Luiz, I downloaded these packages in .zip format (from
http://www.gtk.org/download/win32.php):

zlib, cairo, libpng, Freetype, Fontconfig, expat.

As Theo suggested, I extracted their content and put all the .dll
files from these packages into C:\R-2.13.2\bin\i386 (at least that's
how I interpreted "in the bin directory of the R package to be
distributed").

Using the same calls as James suggested earlier, I still get the same
error message as before:

> library(Cairo)
> CairoPDF("DoulosCairo.pdf")
> CairoFonts(regular="Doulos Sil:style=Regular",
+  bold="Doulos Sil:style=Bold",
+  italic="Doulos Sil:style=Italic",
+  bolditalic="Doulos Sil:style=Bold Italic,BoldItalic",
+  symbol="Symbol"
+ )
Warning message:
In CairoFonts(regular = "Doulos Sil:style=Regular", bold = "Doulos
Sil:style=Bold",  :
  the R Cairo package was not installed with fontconfig. Please
consider installing the cairo graphics engine (www.cairographics.org)
with freetype and fontconfig support

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Best