[cairo] CompressionError: bz2 module is not available

Simon Sapin simon.sapin at kozea.fr
Sun Jan 15 14:34:09 PST 2012

Le 14/01/2012 05:41, Kenichi MASUDA a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have a trouble to install pycairo through pip,
> but below message appears.
>
> [...]
> CompressionError: bz2 module is not available

Hi,

The bz2 module is part of the standard library. The only reason I can
think of why it would be missing is if the bzip2 libraries were not
installed when you compiled Python.

Anyway, as far as I know pycairo can not be installed with
distutils/pip. The tarballs have no setup.py file.

You will need either to find a pre-built/packaged distribution of
pycairo, or to download the tarball yourself and follow the instructions
in the INSTALL file.

I tried to build pycairo myself a few times and failed for various
reasons. I use my linux distribution’s packages.

Regards,
--
Simon Sapin