[cairo] Cairo performance testing with X11 forwarding

Patrick Wilbur patrick.wilbur at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 14:36:19 PDT 2012

I have been manually (as in, not using * on the command-line) testing
traces in the benchmark/ directory, one-by-one, to see what I can observe.

For some of the tests (including swfdec-youtube.trace,
firefox-scrolling.trace, gnome-system-monitor.trace, and
chromium-tabs.trace) everything works like a charm when run over ssh -X.
 These I can use as several benchmarks, which is great.

For others, I see a spike in CPU usage followed by CPU usage dropping out
(back to my normal idle usage).  At this point, the test hangs and
cairo-perf-trace displays no further output (than up to the test name just
before printing values).

Seems quite strange, no?  While I feel the traces that are working make
good benchmarks, it would be nice to be able to get all traces working.

(I still have yet to upgrade the underlying host system from 11.10 to
12.04, which would match the VM's OS, but I'm not certain that would make a
difference anyway.)

Pat

--
Patrick F. Wilbur