[cairo] Porting and licence question

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Thu Nov 15 01:48:19 PST 2012

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 01:17:55 -0500, Pent Down <pentdown at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I managed to port Cairo to Windows CE 6 and so far works great.
> My question is if I am allowed to include it in a commercial application for which I am not allowed to distribute the code?
> Yes, I had to make small changes (few files,) nothing major.

Yes, you may under the Mozilla Public Licence, which allows you to
combine Cairo into any larger piece of work (without imposing licensing
terms on the larger work). The essential requirement (please do read
COPYING-MPL-1-1) is that any modifications you make to *Cairo* are made
available to everyone you distribute your version to.

Alternatively you may choose to use the GNU Lesser General Public
Licence, which has stricter requirements on how you can combine the
pieces of work into the distributable whole (without making the larger
body of work a derivative) and for making and maintaining modifications
to Cairo. Read COPYING-LGPL-2.1 for the full details.

Have fun using Cairo! Please do let us know how you get on and of any
little changes you make.
-Chris