[cairo] Help for using cairo_region and clip

Carlos López González genetita at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 04:04:15 PDT 2012

Hi Adhir,

2012/10/10 Adhir Garg <adhir.garg at gmail.com>:
> Hello Carlos,
>
> Thanks for your time for replying.
>
> However, the question still remains unanswered. I am trying to explain
> problem in following steps
>
> 1. Create a big, filled Rectangle 1000x1000 - cairo_rectangle (cr, 0,
> 0, 1000, 1000);
> 2. Create a BIG Rectangle Region 100x100  using
> cairo_region_create_rectangle(cr, rectangle*);
> 3. Exclude a part (region) of it using subtract -
> cairo_region_subtract_rectangle
> Now I assume that my Region consists of reduced size < 100X100
> 4. I try to create with another shape (say Rectangle) -  cairo_rectangle
> 5. If I do cairo_clip(), I only get the rectangle of Step 4

Can you be more explicit with this code? Please paste the code that
currently you build and run to check that it doesn't do what you want.
I think that you cannot subtract a cairo_region_t from a path or
viceversa. Cairo regions are for raster surfaces (where those integers
coincide with pixels) but in general a rectangle represents pixels or
not, depending on the surface that the cairo context was initialized.

> My final expected output is intersection of Region at (3) and Clip in (4).
> However, I am unable to find any API that makes use of cairo_region_t.

Possibly you don't need to use cairo_region_t at all, and just work
with paths and clips.

> Prior to 1.10.0, we had API set_clip_region(), This was responsible
> for setting the current clip region to current region.
>
> In case, we have such API, where we are actually making use of
> cairo_region, it would be great.

Does this help?
http://www.gtkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54873

> Regards,