[cairo] Fwd: Threaded animation with cairo_gl backend over a GtkWidget

Carlos López González genetita at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 11:26:51 PST 2013

I forgot to CC cairo list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carlos López González <genetita at gmail.com>
Date: 2013/1/15
Subject: Re: [cairo] Threaded animation with cairo_gl backend over a
GtkWidget
To: Uli Schlachter <psychon at znc.in>

Hi!
I've upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10 and as part of the upgrade Ubuntu disabled
the proprietary nvidia driver.
With the  the nouveau driver enabled and simply enable multithreading, it
crash.

carlos at laptop:~/my-test-area/build$ LANG=C ./cairo-sample
[xcb] Unknown request in queue while dequeuing
[xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has not
been called
[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.
cairo-sample: ../../src/xcb_io.c:178: dequeue_pending_request: Assertion
`!xcb_xlib_unknown_req_in_deq' failed.
Abortado (`core' generado)

But when add XIniThreads()  as shown in the previous post, it doesn't crash
but it runs *extremely* slow (?). I'm using a GeForce 8400M GS graphic card
(glxgears runs smoothly).

If I enable the private nvidia-current driver it crashes in any case with
the same message than I had before. The suggested breakpoint or the --sync
option doesn't help much.

So which are my alternatives?

If I create the cairo_gl_surface but not using
cairo_gl_surface_create_for_window but the cairo_gl_create_surface, would
it have GPU acceleration as well?

I just want to create a minimal example of multithreading drawing over a
gtkwidget using cairo_gl to later translate to a bigger application, but it
seems that it is impossible.

Is there any *real* application that uses Cairo with GPU acceleration in
production?

Thanks!

2013/1/14 Uli Schlachter <psychon at znc.in>

> Hi,
>
> On 14.01.2013 21:24, Carlos López González wrote:
> [...]
> > The program 'cairo-sample' received an X Window System error.
> > This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> > The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
> >   (Details: serial 230 error_code 8 request_code 135 minor_code 5)
>
> minor_code 5 likely is DRI2's GetBuffer request, but could also be a
> RANDRGetScreenInfo, RenderChangePicture, SHAPEQueryExtents,
> SHMCreatePixmap or
> SyncQueryCounter. Of course, this doesn't really help us (does it?).
>
> [...]
> >   (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
> >    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
> >    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
> >    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
> >    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
> function.)
>
> do "break gdk_x_error" before you "run" the program.
>
> > [Thread 0xb4738b40 (LWP 3625) exited]
> > [Thread 0xb54ffb40 (LWP 3624) exited]
> > [Thread 0xb6224880 (LWP 3620) exited]
> > [Inferior 1 (process 3620) exited with code 01]
> > (gdb) where
> > No stack.
> > (gdb)
> >

> > How can I add the --sync option?
>
> If the program supports this option: "run --sync".
>
> Uli
> --
> "Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic
> and totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?" -- A. P. J.
> --

Carlos
http://synfig.org

--