[cairo] Dynamic module not initialized properly

Vincent de Vos vin.de.vos at gmail.com
Fri May 10 07:46:51 PDT 2013

After building pycairo using GNU Make (I did not use the WAF installer
because it kept building with errors:
http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2013-May/024295.html)
.
configure --prefix=/home/vdevos/pycairo
make
make install

It is now included in my PYTHON_PATH using:
export PYTHONPATH=/home/vdevos/pycairo/lib/python2.6/site-packages/cairo

Then when I open python2.6 on my console and try to import the _cairo
module I get the following error...

Python 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Dec  5 2009, 21:18:28)
[GCC 4.3.3] on linux2
>>> import _cairo
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
SystemError: dynamic module not initialized properly

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?