[cairo] fonts and text in ISO C++ graphics library? (Re: Cairo and ISO C++)

Michael McLaughlin mikebmcl at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 13:02:32 PST 2014

Hi,

My name is Mike McLaughlin and I'm working with Herb and Jason on the
initial proposal.

For simplicity and platform independence, the initial proposal will only
contain cairo's toy font API.

We know that this is inadequate for a number of use cases (e.g. it lacks
support for RTL languages). Our reason for including it is that we wanted
to make sure that there was at least some basic ability to render text. We
chose not to include anything else because we recognized that font loading
and text rendering is a complicated area (especially cross-platform) and we
did not want to risk getting it wrong. I'm hopeful that when the initial
proposal is published, there will be some discussions about how best to
address advanced font management and text rendering (something on par with
the capabilities of FT2 + fontconfig, DirectWrite, etc.) and ultimately one
or more proposals to implement the results of any such discussions.

The library is going to include the concept of native handles (something
that has already been adopted and used with much success in the C++
Standard Library's thread class) so that implementers can provide access to
platform-specific resources. If we can get a 2D drawing library with basic
text support standardized relatively quickly, I think that would be a great
achievement even if it means that users who need advanced text rendering
need to use native handles and platform-specific code to do that until
that, too, is standardized.

User fonts are not currently incorporated but it looks like something that
would be both easy to add and useful to have so I wouldn't be surprised if
they were added in an amendment. The reason they aren't in the initial
proposal is because we didn't consider anything beyond the toy font API
once we determined that anything beyond that would require a lot of
thought, discussion, and experimentation to get it right.

Thanks!

-Mike