[cairo] Scaled fixed size fonts

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sun Jan 19 14:50:13 PST 2014

US> (And right now the only .bdf files around belong to texlive)

Sorry.  I presumed too much prior info.

The X11 bdf fonts can be installed as bdf files, but are more commonly
installed as pcf file.

Adobe provided bitmaps for a few sizes and faces of their Courier,
Helvetica, New Century Schoolbook, Symbol and Times families to the
X11 community (by way of DEC, based on the copyright notice) back
in the '80s and '90s.

The packages I quoted are indeed the ones of interest.

You also need to ensure that your fontconfig config allows bitmap fonts
to see what occurs when cairo tries to use them.

>> On debian it is either xfonts-100dpi or xfonts-75dpi.
US> However, neither packages contain anything which I would think sounds like
US> "Adobe bdf fonts fot X11":

US> http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/all/xfonts-100dpi/filelist

The files matching /helv.+gz/ are the font files needed for his example.

They are normally intended as X11 server-side fonts, but since they
normally get installed in /usr/share/fonts and /usr/share/fonts (and
therefore all of its subdirs) is typically in the fontconfig search
path, they get pulled in unless scalable=false fonts are rejected
in the fontconfig config.

The are also likely to be the only fonts with the family names Times,
Helvetica or New Century Schoolbook installed on a typical floss box
and thus will get chosen ahead of the fontconfig <alias>es.

-JimC