[cairo] SVG & PS/EPS surfaces

Stefan Salewski mail at ssalewski.de
Sun Aug 2 13:27:33 PDT 2015

On Sun, 2015-08-02 at 20:31 +0200, Tomas By wrote:
> It seems to me now that what I will have to do is (1) create the
> drawings in C, to produce both EPS files, and also PNG files, for use
> in
> the GUI, and then (2) have the GUI load the PNG file into an image
> surface, to display. A somewhat less optimal solution.

Yes that is a very strange way. Of course cairo should work the same
from each supported language -- and there are many bindings available
including Python, Ruby, Nim. I did the Nim one, it is not really tested
yet and has currently no GC support. But should work fine :-)

Guile cairo is from 2011 and seems to support only cairo 1.9, so maybe
that cairo version is too old, or there is something wrong with the
guile bindings? So when you really like guile, you may try to update it
to latest cairo. Or, you may try harder to avoid using multiple
surfaces. I am using multiple surfaces only for the shadows, for
translucent colors and to avoid redrawing background often to increase
speed for screen display.

If you intent to investigate the problem further, obvious first step is
using guile for drawing only onto one single surface and check the
result. When that is fine, then use cairo_paint() to transfer it to
another surface and tell us the results.