[cairo] Continued support for Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Sat May 9 16:47:05 PDT 2015

On Sat, 9 May 2015 15:58:32 -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> As a developer, I would look for a way to use the new function when
> available, and otherwise continue to use the old function.

In the days of old MacOS, there was a function called “Gestalt”. You
gave it a tag, and it would tell you if it knew anything about it, and
if so, what. As new system functionality was added, new predefined tags
were added to Gestalt, that suitably up-to-date apps could query at
runtime, and adapt their behaviour accordingly.

I don’t suppose OS X considers this a good idea...