[cairo] XCopyArea and Cairo - trying to implement scrolling

Richard Billington billingt at AI.SRI.COM
Fri May 15 19:39:56 PDT 2015

So I've had an interesting time. I've parsed your message as essentially
saying either

  * re-implement xcopyarea using cairo constructs
  * OR, continue to use xcopyarea and handle the resulting
    graphics-expose event with a cairo-based function

I've tried re-implementing xcopyarea, and it resulted in a bad-match X
error based on something that gets put on the event queue - hard to tell
what because as soon as the error occurs it locks keboard input to X up :-(

I've also noticed that the when scrolling I get "no-exposure" events, so
that means even if I implemented a cairo-based handler for
graphics-expose event, it wouldn't be called when scrolling.

So I explored the "function"s being used. That is, before calling
xcopyarea, the function "property" of the xlib graphics context is set
to a value from 0 to 15. The function I'd used successfully with the
purely xlib implementation was "GXandReverse" (defined as logically "src
AND NOT dst"). With a window rendered using Cairo, this resulted in odd
scrolling, the worst of which was that the background went from white to
black, but it had additional problems. I surmise this is because the
colors have an alpha channel and so the logical combination has a
different result, but I really haven't thought it through. Instead, I
experimented and found that using "GXxor" (defined logically as "src XOR
dst") worked much better, thought it seems to smear text one pixel to
the right, though graphics scroll fine.

Any comments or observations greatly appreciated. Still hacking away at
this.
.:Richard