[cairo] Cairo Tutorial

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Thu Nov 19 12:54:47 PST 2015

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 14:02:37 -0600, Michael Urman wrote:

> For what it's worth, two recent thread topics have centered around the
> two ideas covered in the tutorial's tips and tricks section...

Make that three. I see you also briefly mentioned the ordering of
concatenated matrix transforms, which I covered at length here
<http://cairographics.org/matrix_conventions/>.

> Clearly not everyone reads that far, but would more people benefit
> more from a shortened document, or is it better to have these
> miscellany for those who do read it?

Looking back at it, it’s certainly full of a lot of useful info. But I
think it’s too much for one page.

So we currently have that tutorial, and we have the cookbook
collection. I think it makes more sense to break out some of these more
tricky topics into the latter, and leave the overall tutorial
introduction as a shorter document, ending with a “where to get more
info” section.

> I'd say your list of concepts is critically lacking coverage of
> *paths* and the *verbs* that use them; perhaps you mean for them to
> be part of what you call the *context*.

Cairo’s support for paths is really pretty elementary. They are not
anywhere near first-class objects.