[cairo] PATCH cairo-www: Simpler explanation for how to get sharp, single-pixel-wide lines

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Tue Apr 26 05:57:50 UTC 2016

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 09:09:34 -0700, Bill Spitzak wrote:

> Also diagonal lines and curves look horrible.

Which, I think, illustrates the difference between guessing and actually
trying things out.

Enclosed are four examples illustrating what happens to 45° diagonal
lines. As you can see, the results are the opposite from what happens
to exactly vertical/horizontal lines, namely the lines at
integer-plus-half coordinates are thicker and blurrier, while the ones
at integer coordinates are the thinnest and sharpest.

In other words, my recommendation to turn antialiasing off works under
a wider range of conditions than the existing FAQ answer.