[cairo] openvg still used ?

Bryce Harrington bryce at osg.samsung.com
Wed Aug 17 05:25:00 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 11:12:56PM -0700, Dave Yeo wrote:
> On 08/12/16 10:41 PM, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> >On 12.08.2016 22:59, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> >
> >>I don't know much about OpenVG but you're right it doesn't appear to
> >>have really caught on generally; I'm not spotting any users of the Cairo
> >>OpenVG backend either.  I wouldn't mind seeing us drop it and give more
> >>focus to OpenGLES...
> >
> >Maybe we should move them to separate packages.
> >

> Git history will preserve it.

Yes, that's a good point that it'll always be there for posterity via
the git history, although obviously it won't be preserved in a way
that's likely to be at all usable (maybe not even recoverable).  So if
we drop OpenVG, I do think we need to think of it as a irrevocable
deletion.

> Be polite to remove with one patch and document it.

Do you mean, do the entire removal by a single patch, that also adds
documentation to e.g. the README?  Or do you just mean explain the
rationale for the deletion in the changelog entry?

Also, are you favoring only the OpenVG deletion or both it and the Skia
backend?

Bryce