[cairo] JPEG Support For Libcairo

Bernhard Fischer bf at abenteuerland.at
Fri Jan 1 01:42:53 PST 2016

On Thursday 31 December 2015 13:02:53 Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 15-12-29 12:16 PM, Adrian Johnson wrote:
> >>
> >> Added it to cairo tree - see patches.
> >
> > The API is missing the stream functions. JPEG API has previously been
> > proposed [1]. Behdad's reply [2] summarizes the reason the patches were
>
> > declined:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Indeed, at the time, the impression I got from Carl and others was that the
> PNG support is just a convenience and everything else should be done on top.
> gtkpixbuf is one such library that supports a bunch of formats.  I imagine
> the glib dependency might not be desirable, so someone might want to start
> a new library.

That's exactly my original intention. I needed jpeg within one of my projects
and I didn't want to link against all that bloated gtk stuff.

I thought my code to be a reference implementation or an example for someone
with similar requirements but I didn't want to kick off this huge discussion.

Nevertheless, in the meanwhile I started to improve the code and implement the
stream functions as well, based on the suggestions made on this list.

Regards,
Bernhard