[cairo] Shouldn't Cairo use/offer degrees rather than radians?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Thu Jun 29 21:18:58 UTC 2017

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 08:08:04 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.nz> writes:
>
>> You realize that, by introducing this distortion, you are reducing
>> the accuracy of the computation?
>
> It replaces a sin(x)/cos(x) pair by a sin(x)/sin(pi/2-x) pair.  The
> largest cumulative effect is at pi/4.

So you introduce a kink at π/4. How is this any better, again?

>> I wonder what the term is, for deliberately producing inaccurate
>> answers just to look good...
>
> A very well-considered tradeoff and solid engineering?

“Engineering” is not the term that comes to mind. Try “marketing” or
“management”.

You do realize that your claim about Cairo’s “inability to reliably
draw a half circle that seamlessly connects with another half circle
under any rasterization” is complete nonsense, right?