[cairo] Shouldn't Cairo use/offer degrees rather than radians?

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 19:23:16 UTC 2017

Attached python shows a plausible solution for making any multiple of
M_PI_2 into the expected integers. It even avoids returning negative
zero as that surprises people some times. As far as I can tell this
works for any N*M_PI_2 or (N*.5)*pi. The discontinuities near any odd
multiple of pi/4 are pretty infinitesimal as far as I can tell, and
this version is at least as accurate with magnitude as normal sin/cos.
It also has the rather nice property of guessing right angles when
extremely huge angles are put in.

However if fails if the caller accidentally does any math using float
instead of double, and this demonstrates that failure. It is possible
to fix it with the problem of adding more noise to the output by just
doing everything in float instead of double, likely this would not
produce any unwanted artifacts for Cairo users. However at very large
N, N*M_PI_2 and N*M_PI_2F get far enough apart to actually produce
different answers even when rounded to the nearest float.