[cairo] Quartz improvements

Andrea Canciani ranma42 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 07:58:11 UTC 2017

The recent reports against the Quartz backend have finally pushed me
towards dedicating some more time on improving it.

I have pushed some branches online:
1. a fix for text-glyph-range at
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ranma42/cairo/log/?h=wip/quartz-fix-glyph-range
2. a new test for characters in the SMP and the fix for the Quartz font
backend at wip/quartz-ucs4-to-utf16
3. the implementation of colored glyphs at
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ranma42/cairo/log/?h=wip/quartz-font-wanna-ct

Branch #1 and #2 should be fine and I plan to (rebase and) push them to
master unless anybody complains.

I have also finally started the implementation of a CoreText-based font
backend and I am evaluating the option of removing the manual dynamic
suggested by the Apple guidelines for backward compatibility.
For reference, see:
https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/DynamicLibraries/100-Articles/DynamicLibraryUsageGuidelines.html
https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFrameworks/Concepts/WeakLinking.html

Is there any concern that this may cause issues that are not detected by
our testing infrastructure?
(NB: I currently test my changes on 10.11 and on 10.4)

Special thanks to Kristian Rietveld (for his patience regarding the color
emoji) and to Clerk Ma, for getting me motivated to work on this again :D

Andrea