[cairo] cairo_font_face_t not freeing

Fred Bca fredbca21 at gmail.com
Mon May 22 11:59:43 UTC 2017

hfonts are not reference counted, and as far as I remember, cairo
fonts created using this API will not destroy the hfont (and that's
the expected behavior), hence the lifecycle issue (see the
delete_scaled_hfont field). I think that's the only difference with
other font faces, everything else is the same, including caching.

Not adding these fonts to the cache would probably result in poor
performance so I guess it is not an option. And the cache is not the
problem btw: it's only the mru_font and the holdovers list. Maybe the
font should be flagged as not available for the mru/holovers in the
constructor, but this would require adding this option to all types of
fonts.

That's why a way to fix it is to avoid keeping a list of unused fonts
in a mru/holdovers list or provide a simple way to flush it (to
minimize the impact): if the lifecyle of system fonts is properly
managed from the outside (making sure no font is kept in a context
before freeing it), then there is no issue.

The current behavior is just not compatible with the use of externally
provided hfonts: either you do not free them and you have a leak, or
you free them and you have crash, sometimes, not always.

On Mac fonts are reference counted, so there is no crash. However if
you do not use the toy API to create and manage fonts, you probably
want to have control over memory and resources usage - also, depending
on how the CGFont has been created, you may want to know exactly when
it is released.