[cairo] API: get error message

Adrian Johnson ajohnson at redneon.com
Sun Nov 26 10:11:16 UTC 2017

On 14/11/17 06:03, Bill Spitzak wrote:
> This would be very useful.
>
> It should be called "cairo_xxx_strerror" for consistency with some
> other library apis. Not clear what goes in the middle but I don't
> think it should say "surface" because the errors are per-context,
> right?

"strerror" is not consistent with the cairo style of whole words
separated by underscores. Also, strerror() is for converting an error
number to text. We already have cairo_status_to_string() for that purpose.

Based on feedback I propose adding the function for all objects that can
use it: surface, cairo context, and scaled font.

const char *
cairo_surface_get_error_explanation()

const char *
cairo_get_error_explanation()

const char *
cairo_scaled_font_get_error_explanation()

Any alternative suggestions for the "error_explanation" name?