[cairo] Interactive mode in future Inscape

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Fri Aug 24 16:23:04 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 10:02:02PM +0200, Eon One wrote:
> Would it be possible to implement interactive/visualization mode in
> Inkscape like in Adobe After Effects?

Hi Eon,

Good question, although better raised on the Inkscape mailing lists
(e.g. inkscape-devel at lists.sf.net).

But to answer your question, at Inkscape's hackfest in Boston earlier
this year, animation support was discussed and there were some ideas
presented for both frame based animation and programmatic animation such
as in After Effects.  However, while we think it would fit within
Inkscape's scope there are no developers working in this area inside
Inkscape at this time.  But if you (or others) are interested, there's
definitely room for a feature like that.

Completely unrelated, but lately I've been looking into playback of
these animation sequences (Bodymovin files), and in fact I'm
experimenting with something called Lottie to learn how it's done.  No
idea if anything will come of this experimenting, but fun so far.

Bryce