[cairo] Time for a release ?

Uli Schlachter psychon at znc.in
Tue Nov 17 14:10:24 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am 16.11.20 um 21:39 schrieb Heiko Lewin:

>> Or am I misunderstanding
>> you and you do not mean "admin work" as "keep GitLab running", but
>> rather "make the test suite pass"?
>
> Even with only testing image surfaces, the test-suite seems to deadlock:
>
> TESTING pthread-show-text
> pthread-show-text.image.argb32 [0x1]:    FAIL
> pthread-show-text.image.rgb24 [0x1]:    ^C

Sorry, but that works fine here (commit 9a3ad1d from August 31). Running
"CAIRO_TEST_TARGET=image /usr/bin/time ./cairo-test-suite
pthread-show-text" finishes in 50 milliseconds.

> "Making it pass" I would remove all thread-shared data-objects from
> cairo. No "holdovers" or caching of font-faces and stuff which could be
> done on an application-layer.

I always tried to stay away from the font stuff, so I cannot comment on
that, but I *think* that is allowed to use the same font face from
multiple threads, so just removing all caches would not solve all thread
issues.

[...]
> [...] however I cannot remember the test-suite passing at
> any time,

Yup, I never saw the test suite passing either.

[...]
> Might seem keen, but I'd wait on concrete reports from a test-release.
> If there really is something broken, ppl will come and fix it or they
> won't.
[...]

Well, there are some crash reports in GitLab. I vaguely remember one
with a patch where the patch is just "let's make this array slightly
larger, because that seems to make the crash go away". I do not really
like that since it feels like it could just hide the real bug. How would
you deal with that?

Cheers,
Uli
--
"Are you preparing for another war, Plutarch?" I ask.
"Oh, not now. Now we're in that sweet period where