[cairo] Time for a release ?

Stuart Axon stuaxo2 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 18 23:03:19 UTC 2020

On 16/11/2020 16:21, Uli Schlachter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 16.11.20 um 15:31 schrieb Stuart Axon:
>> Is Meson the preferred way of building Cairo these days ?
> I am not sure. The "meson stuff" was only merged three months ago, so is
> quite new. I guess it works in the common settings, but I'd expect the
> "autotools stuff" to cause less problems.
>
>> After briefly looking at the script it's reassuring it seems to do quite a bit, though I noticed that LATEST still points at 1.16.0 for some reason so maybe something isn't quite right.
> I'm sorry, but I do not understand the question. Which LATEST are you
> talking about?

The symlinks in the folder on here
https://www.cairographics.org/releases/ point to cairo 1.16.0

>> Does Cairo have CI anywhere?
> FDO's GitLab runs some builds:
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/cairo/cairo/-/pipelines
>
>> I guess the tests not all passing is still an issue there?
> Yup. It "builds stuff" and runs tests, but ignores the result of running
> cairo-test-suite by setting CAIRO_TEST_FORCE_PASS=1. That's better than
> nothing.
>
>> This seems like something people with more sporadic free time might be able to help with enabling.
> Sure, please test the meson setup and report problems on GitLab.

I've started this, though am learning Meson at the same time :)

>> Is it worth looking into funding options to support admin work like this ?
> [...]
>
> Feel free. The current infrastructure runs on freedesktop.org. I am
> actually not sure how the funding works here. Or am I misunderstanding
> you and you do not mean "admin work" as "keep GitLab running", but
> rather "make the test suite pass"?

This was a little nebulous, in this case I meant admin work of doing
releases,

though making the test suite pass sounds like the most actionable thing.