[cairo] Release management for Cairo

Emmanuele Bassi ebassi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 11:57:52 UTC 2021

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 at 00:34, Simon Elliott <simon at ctsn.co.uk> wrote:

> On 25/04/2021 19:01, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
>

> I'd consider this a plus, given that plain Makefiles are usually
> tragically less performant. Plus, Meson doesn't *only* target Ninja: it
> generates Visual Studio project files, and the Meson maintainer is working
> on improving the XCode support.
>
> I'm not that concerned about build time performance.

I am very much concerned about build time performance. First of all, it
impacts our CI pipeline, but more importantly: tighter change-build-test
cycles are fundamental to avoid contributor burnout.

Switching to a faster (and less fickle) build system has improved every
single project I've contributed to.

I'm more concerned about how easy it is to fit into our Yocto based build
> system. I know how to integrate autotools projects, plain makefiles, and
> even cmake. I'm not sure what's involved in integrating Meson.

I have talked to the Yocto developers (many of whom are former colleagues
of mine), and they assured me that switching to Meson is entirely supported
and, to be honest, an improvement over Autotools. In many cases it's merely
a case of changing the project's recipe from `inherit autotools` to
`inherit meson` (and, of course, changing the syntax of the build options,
if any are explicitly specified).

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--