[cairo] Release management for Cairo

Emmanuele Bassi ebassi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 12:12:07 UTC 2021

Hi;

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 at 00:45, James K. Lowden <jklowden at schemamania.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 18:12:23 +0100
> Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ideally, I'd like to help with the maintenance of Cairo. I am not an
> > expert in the tesselation code, or in font rendering, or in the image
> > scaling code; but I can deal with making releases, keeping the CI
> > running, automating the website maintenance, triaging issues, and
> > fixing the build. More importantly, since Cairo is still a GTK
> > dependency, I can spend my work time on those tasks.
>
> Hi Emmanuele,
>
> Thanks for bringing your ideas and energy to Cairo.  I think your
> criticism and direction are well founded, and have a good chance of
> succeeding.  That is: be careful what you wish for.

You can believe me when I say I haven't sent this email without careful
consideration of the effort. To be honest, I would have rather kept my
mouth shut: I am already maintaining/co-maintaining too many projects.

Unfortunately, the mess with Cairo 1.17.4 being a blocker for releasing GTK
4.0 last December has definitely tipped the balance. We (GTK developers)
have been stakeholders in the Cairo project since 2005, and we have
delegated drawing to it for the best part of two major API cycles; at this
point, we are probably one of the very few last major free and open source
projects with still a vested interest in Cairo's continued existence—at the
very least as long as we render things on the CPU.

Unless you get a lot of blowback on the mailing list, I don't see why
> we can't make your plan a reality.

I mean, sure: I already started making that happen in the Tanis branch.

While I might be known to some people in the Cairo community because of my
involvement with GTK and GNOME, and because I hang around the #cairo IRC
channel, I am not really part of the Cairo community, so I honestly wanted
to gauge the interest in having a relative unknown essentially taking up
the job of release manager.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--