[cairo] Cairo samples using RCairo on Windows - Ok to use?

Øyvind Kolås pippin at gimp.org
Fri May 28 16:53:12 UTC 2021

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 6:31 PM Mohit Sindhwani <ml3p at onghu.com> wrote:

> ... I am revisiting what I used to know, and I'm approaching that
> by converting all the samples on https://www.cairographics.org/samples/
> from C to Ruby, noting the few small changes that I am making to get
> them to run.
>
> I intend to:
> 1) Put a blog post that shows the original C code, matching Ruby code
> and the output
> 2) Put up the Ruby samples into a GitHub repository for reference
>
> So, the question I have is:
> * Is there any copyright issue in doing #1?
> - can I re-publish the C code from the site along with the Ruby code on
> my page?
> Based on this line on the page: All of his original snippet code is
> considered to be part of the public domain
> I expect I am clear to do this, but just want a quick Yay or Nay :)

Yay!

I find code samples with restrictive licenses to be silly. I've seen
my share of GPL,
LGPL and commerical unlicensed source available tutorials; which is why the page
explicitly states that the examples are to be public domain (perhaps
this should be
revised with CC0 - given that public domain does not exist in all of the world.)

--
/Øyvind Kolås,
  https:/pippin.gimp.org/ https://ctx.graphics/