[Clipart] Some thoughts on the browsing interface

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Wed Aug 4 22:47:23 PDT 2004

Carl Worth wrote:
> Currently, from the main page, it takes a few clicks before the user can
> find any images to browse. I think the main page should immediately
> present a browse interface with lots of different images. Functions such
> as Upload can be moved to other pages, since the casual user can't make
> use of them anyway, and the front page should be optimized more for
> casual users.

i think is partly due because we have not defined (AFAIK) our target
audience: end-users, packagers or contributors.
in the current form, the emphasis is placed on the upload tool, like the
target is contributors (it may be a good idea until we reach a certain
arbitrary number of submissions).
if we define the target as packagers, then probably should bring on top
links to tarballs and licensing info.
ofcourse, for end-users as target we should put the browse interface on
front page (like other clipart sites do).

> Additionally, I think the browswer interface currently partitions things
> too much. Currently, from what I can tell, each image appears only in a
> single, fully-specified category. For example, if I click on the Animal
> category, I see a single scorpion. If I don't know any better, I might
> think that that's the only animal in the library, and move on. Instead,
> I think the browse interface should present images in all of their
> parent categories as well. This way, the categorization would provide a
> way to filter the results, rather than a way to show new images.

i like very much this proposal.

--
nicu