[Clipart] PASSFAIL Report

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Fri Aug 6 01:54:23 PDT 2004

Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:

> Actually, none of us have account access enough to modify those
> files.  Someone needs to get on #freedesktop on irc.freenode.net and
> ask someone like daniels to chown those files. PPL!!! Please make
> sure your scripts do at least 774 or 775 or 777 on files created or
> we will have to keep asking admins for assistance.

There absolutely has to be a better way than expecting the scripts to
change file permissions.  For one thing, the only way I know for a
script to do that is to call an external system utility (probably
/bin/chmod or /usr/bin/chmod).  More importantly, the script shouldn't
even need to know what user it's running as or what the permissions
are.  If it does, something is set up wrong in the operating
environment, probably a file mode creation mask or somesuch.