[Clipart] Open Clip Art Library Release 0.05

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Fri Aug 13 19:13:48 PDT 2004

Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:

> I wonder if what you are proposing is best done in PERL.

Perl is a great language for this sort of thing, not least because the
vast amount of reusable code on the CPAN probably has more than half
the work already done.  Also, doing it in Perl greatly increases
portability, and well-written Perl code is very maintainable.

The achilles heel of Perl is lack of a standard GUI toolkit, but for
projects that don't need a GUI (either because they're command-line
stuff or because they can use a web browser for that via cgi), Perl is
an excellent choice.

> I'm finding that we communicate a lot more on this project through
> the mailing list rather than chat and that is ok...every project is
> different.

The mailing list is preferable IMO, because it's easier to keep track
of, archive, search, and so on, and because the developers don't have
to be available the same times of day to be on the same page.  Also,
there are better, more featureful, more polished clients available for
mail than chat.