[Clipart] logo contest

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Aug 17 14:05:13 PDT 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Nicu Buculei wrote:

> Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:53:52 +0300
> From: Nicu Buculei <nicu at apsro.com>
> To: clipart-list <clipart at freedesktop.org>
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] logo contest
>
> Jon Phillips wrote:
> > Yes, that's right. Lets just work on getting them up on the site by WED
> > of this week. I have one I haven't finished and my friend Neil will
> > submit one I'm sure by that time.
>
> all images submitted until now are here:
> http://www.openclipart.org/cgi-bin/navigate/OCALLogos

Some of those previews are too small for such detailed images, it might be
nice if slightly larger (200x200, or 256x256) previews were also available
(could maybe be generated on demand and cached?)

The small size of the previews reminds me that we might want to make 16x16
pixel icons and more realistically 32x32 pixel icons out of the logo and
taking that into account the only ones I like are:

the one by Henrich Fichna (four intersecting circles), would like it
better multicoloured though but ideally the logo will work in both
monochrome and in many colours.

and the two by Bono again with four intesecting circles except this
time they make up more of a diamond than square shape, again I'd like
a multicolour version too.

I like Andrew Fitzsimon's work too (the abstract swoosh on page, as I have
said previously) but I dont think it is ever going to work at really small
sizes.

I also like the logo by Samir Bharadwaj that uses a scissors ----8<---
device is very clever (the one that spells out the name, not the one with
the acronym, I think you all know by now how I feel about acronyms).  now
that I think about it, the scissors icon is very abstract and would work
extremely well at just about every sizes.  I think a scissors is a
universal and innofensive sybmol, anyone know otherwise?

Some of the more textual images would make excellent advertising banners,
ILUG my local Linux User Group put up free advertisements for Open Source
projects, and many users seem like including those "created with" buttons
on their web pages.  http://linux.ie/banners.php
(Perhaps Inkscape could be encourage to carry banners for other graphics
projects like OpenClipart on their website).

Perhaps we could convince some of the authors to adjust their entries for
this purpose, so that even if they are not chosen as the official logo we
would be able to make use of all of them and not have to reject such good
work.  (Users could choose to put whichever logo they like best them on
their own websites, or include them with their work).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/proj/Inkscape/
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/