[Clipart] About graphic styles and file sizes

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Mon Aug 30 20:55:00 PDT 2004

Tapio Kautto <eleknader at phnet.fi> writes:

> These images are converted from photographs (jpg) to svg format with
> Delineate and AutoTrace (I'm not an artist, and can hardly
> draw). I've also added meta information with Inkscape.
> I'd like to have your comments about these images:
>
> - images of this style in general

The style is interesting.  Could be useful in some situations, less so
in others.  I wouldn't want to focus on this style to the exclusion of
more traditional styles, but augmenting the collection with these
seems okay.

> - these images (the size and the quality)

The size and technical quality seem okay, assuming you view them as
impressionistic rather than photorealistic.

> - what else comes into your mind

These are derivative works of the photographs they come from, clearly,
so you should only do conversions of photographs that you have rights
to (preferably, photos you took yourself).  Is the software for doing
this freely available?  I have certain photographs that I might like
to try doing this to (though I might edit them somewhat afterward).