[Clipart] OCAL identified by IBM as resource for Linux migrations

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Tue Dec 28 06:49:35 PST 2004

Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> If I were doing this, I'd set up a basic card in OpenOffice.org Writer
> with the paper size and margins and columns and whatnot right and then
> do all of the cards in the same basic shape, substituting different
> images and of course text (and fonts) for each card.

compared with Writer, i think OpenOffice.org Draw is a better tool for
this job, but, IMO, Inkscape is (except printing) *much* better. (OOo
can't draw antialiased shapes, can't import our SVG clipart etc.)

> Now, there's a thought.  I suppose you could do the whole card in
> Inkscape, as far as that goes, and then submit the whole thing.  The
> only thing that worries me about that is the fonts -- other users may
> not have the same ones installed on their systems.  Does Inkscape have
> any way to trace around the letters in your card and create SVG shapes
> based on them?  Also, what would the copyright implications be of
> doing so with non-public-domain fonts?

Inkscape can convert text to paths.
version 0.40 can trace bitmpas, but i think converting text to paths is
enough in this case.

--
nicu