[Clipart] OCAL identified by IBM as resource for Linux migrations

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Wed Dec 29 05:10:05 PST 2004

Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com> writes:

> Of course this presupposes having a good font editor,

Indeed.

> This suggests that we as a project face a decision regarding how
> we'd handle font licensing.  So far we've been 100% PD, but fonts
> are not clipart.  What would be the pros/cons of providing them
> under the various licensing considerations?  What's the best
> approach for helping the free fonts cause?

Well...

 * On the one hand, requiring submissions to be public domain might
   limit the number of submissions, since some authors might not be
   willing to give up certain rights.

 * On the other hand, having a collection of public domain fonts would
   allow for things like including text in the clipart using those
   fonts, and the clipart could still be public domain.

 * On the gripping hand, do we really want a lot of pictures of text
   in the clipart library anyhow?

One almost imagines that an Open Font Library could be a separate (but
related) project, much as a stock-photo library is a separate project.