[Clipart] OCAL identified by IBM as resource for Linux migrations

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Dec 30 12:13:33 PST 2004

Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
>
>>One almost imagines that an Open Font Library could be a separate (but
>>related) project, much as a stock-photo library is a separate project.
>

> Hmm, good point - does such a project already exist?  Perhaps we would
> be best to just ally with them?

Well, another point is that our tools might aid an Open Font Library in
categorization and dissemination. We have talked about this in the past.

Also, what font format would this type of library use? Adobe's Open Type format
seems the current king of the font pile. However, SVG Fonts would fit best with
our repository.

Bryce, DMS would work for an Open Font Library project as well, right?

Man, thinking about this I think eventually our project might become an "Open
Media Library" where the sub-projects Clip Art, Fonts, Sounds, Video, Photos.
Anyhow, it is hard to think that way right now, but is good to keep a larger
picture in mind. When I present Open Clip Art Library, people usually ask why
something so specific. I tell them that it is how Open Source works, and not to
mention, a small group needs specific tasks that can be accomplished. For
myself, I would like to see the project develop into this larger Open Media Library.

But for now, I think we need to search for Open Font Library like systems on the
web and report back on the wiki and this list to see what is out there. If there
is nothing out there, then I say we go for it and put up a similar system for
font collection. It is a real bitch to always search the web for fonts.

I think ideally having PD fonts would entice the distros to include our
packages. Currently, most distros have packages for the Micro$oft Core Fonts as
wella s Bitstream Charter.

Anyway, thoughts? If anyone has any thoughts that are sticking, then please post
to the wiki (http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Open_Font_Library)

1528 Alice St. Apt. #4
Oakland, CA, USA 94612-5004

USA PH 510.499.0894