[Clipart] Comma-separated keywords in metadata

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Jul 1 07:54:07 PDT 2004

Below:

> I should probably add at this point that I've been down the DMS path
> before - docsys.sf.net is by me.  I found that it proved to be somewhat
> more difficult for the sysadmins and users to administrate when the
> database was the primary source of info, and if I did that system over
> again, would make it more file-oriented, as described above.  One of the
> main reasons being that this would potentially enable use of WebDAV as
> an alternative file management / file viewing mechanism.  I feel that
> the ability for users to access the document repository using their
> normal file manager tools (File Explorer, Nautilus, a mounted file
> system, etc.) would be significantly more usable than a web interface.
> Likewise, a number of tools, like Adobe's and Microsoft's products,
> support WebDAV, so I suspect it would "play well" with how artists would
> like to work on their files.  Anyway, that's all kind of blue-sky
> thoughts, but that's what I've been thinking about why the database
> should be kept a secondary rather than primary data source...  Hope that
> makes sense.

Yes, I think the file-oriented approach is better than the mysql
database approach. I think our approach of making small tools with
simple functionality is inline with the file-oriented approach rather
than the high-barrier mysql database approach. The future looks bright
for WeBDAV and creative applications (and will prolly be part of my PhD
thesis when I get into that eventually).

We just need to remember to keep barriers low and our many small tools
approach will allow for simpler updates by a changing cast of characters
for this project through time easier.