[Clipart] Comma-separated keywords in metadata

Tobias Jakobs tobias.jakobs at web.de
Sat Jul 10 00:14:07 PDT 2004

> >  * Probably should specify how thumbnails should (optionally) be
> >    included.
> > We could borrow an extant spec for this, if there is one,
>
> Anyone know of one?

Yes, there is the "Thumbnail Managing Standard"[1] from freedesktop.org.
I just asked about it on on #gimp and attached the log [2].

[1] http://triq.net/~jens/thumbnail-spec/index.html

[2] #gimp 2004-07-09
<tobias_> Does Gimp use the "Thumbnail Managing Standard" from
freedesktop.org? And is this the newest version
http://triq.net/~jens/thumbnail-spec/index.html?
<schumaml> afaik yes
<neo> tobias_: may I ask why you are asking about the thumbnails?
<tobias_> It's for the openclipart.org. We thought about integrating
thumbnails into the Clipart packets
<neo> I see
<neo> the standard is missing an important feature to make that possible
<neo> it doesn't allow for thumbs outside of the ~/.thumbnails dir
<neo> I'd love to see that added
<drc> I wouldn't.
<neo> drc: it would be useful for image collections on removable media
<drc> neo: Well on CD
<drc> 's yes.
<neo> drc: by default thumbs should only be read from there
<drc> That would work.
<neo> yes, that would work and it would be very useful
<neo> of course there needs to be tools to handle this
<schumaml> back to .xvpics!
* schumaml runs
* neo throws some xvpics after schumaml
* schumaml blocks them with Thumbs.db
<neo> tobias_: the spec isn't set in stone
<neo> tobias_: if you want to discuss changes, please join xdg-list
<tobias_> Is Version 0.6.1 the newest one? It's from September 2002!
<neo> yes, there haven't been changes lately
<rockwlrs> neo: did you get your race condition problem worked out
without a change to the spec, then?
<neo> not really
<neo> it just somehow works
<rockwlrs> hmm, that's not encouraging
<neo> it's not that it would be hard to get the spec changed
<neo> just need to sit down and write down proposed changes
<neo> of course they should be backward-compatible