[Clipart] Comma-separated keywords in metadata

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sat Jul 10 16:00:02 PDT 2004

"Glenn Randers-Pehrson <glennrp>" <glennrp at comcast.net> writes:

> It might be nice to include the thumbnail dimensions in the filename:
>
>        foo-svg-thumb-120x90.png
>        foo-png-thumb-200x200.png

Oh.  Were we going to have different sizes of thumbnails?  I imagined
they would all be scaled to the same size (with whitespace if the
dimensions are wrong, rather than clipping or stretching), but
everything involving how to do the thumbnails is open to discussion at
this point.

> I guess the "thumb-" would be redundant and could be removed:
>
>        foo-svg-120x90.png
>        foo-png-200x200.png

Only if we decide to have different sizes of them and put the size in
the filename, and only if non-thumbnail images are forbidden in our
spec to have trailing digits in their filename.  (A regular expression
has to be able to differentiate between a thumnail and a regular
image.)  Really it seems best to leave a marker indicating that the
file is a thumbnail -- either in the filename itself, or by storing
the thumbnail files in a special thumbnails-only subdirectory (like
the Gimp does).

It would be somewhat easier to manipulate things automatically using
scripts if the thumbnail filename were exactly predictable given the
filename of the image itself, but this is not an absolute requirement
as long as the image filename is exactly predictable from the
thumbnail filename, and provided there's no ambiguity about whether
any given file is an image or a thumbnail.