[Clipart] Thumbnails in clipart packages

Tobias Jakobs tobias.jakobs at web.de
Sat Jul 17 13:44:24 PDT 2004

Am Sa, den 17.07.2004 schrieb "Áki G. Karlsson" um 16:32:
> Tobias Jakobs wrote:
>
> >>Thumbnails
> >>
> >>Nautilus thumbnails images, so does gthumb and Windows Explorer as well.
> >>With all this thumbnailing going on, isn't it superfluous to include
> >>thumbnails in the package?
> >
> >Thumbnails in the package are useful, if you use the package with a
> >program, that can read the whole zip file. For example a spezial clipart
> >browser. The other thing is, can the Windows Explorer generate
> >thumbnails for SVGs?
> >

> What clipart browsers are you referring to?

It was just an example. There is no clipart browser, but perhaps there
will be clipart browsers some day.

> Of course, Explorer cannot generate thumbnails for svgs. I remember this
> bugging me on my win box at work... i.e. not being able to immediately
> see what was in the svg-packages I was downloading and having to go
> through each image in turn and open it with a browser to see what it was
> about.
> Only thing that worries me is bloat, but on linux at least the
> thumbnails can be made compatible with nautilus/gthumb/whatever default
> behaviour
> and so do not need to get regenerated or duplicated AFAIK.

No, we can't make a package with thumbnails, that are compatible with
nautilus...

Please read the "[Clipart] Comma-separated keywords in metadata" thread
and the Thumbnail Managing Standard:
http://triq.net/~jens/thumbnail-spec/index.html

> But, while I can see the usefulness of including thumbnails, might it be
> a better idea to include png versions of the images, larger than the
> avg. thumbnail to
> be actually useful for programs that don't support svg?

I think we should make two packages. One with SVGs and one with PNG,
otherwise it would be really bloat.