[Clipart] organize repository and access rights

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Sat Jul 17 20:09:40 PDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Jon Phillips wrote:
> Yes, the babelfish solution is temporary till translation technology
> improves. However, if someone wants to maintain a translated version of
> the site, then lets consider options.
>
> I'm more concerned about internationalization of metadata. At current
> all metadata is in English, but the problems of having internationalized
> metadata is the possibility of ultra-massive files. At the same time,
> how can we not bias against English language, or is this even a concern?
>
> For example, in the yield sign example if there were 10 language
> translations of the original English metadata, wouldn't that increase
> the file size abnormally? I guess a solution to this in the future would
> be to keep copies somehow of the file with translations into multiple
> languages, and thus, rather than have one file with all translations,
> each translation would be the same graphic, but with different
> translations. Thus, we could have yield_sign_EN.svg, yield_sign_ES.svg,
> and yield_sign_MX.svg. This way, the file sizes could be maintained and
> we could support translations. Thoughts on this?
>
> Jon

I think what we want for the long term is for the server to maintain
master files of all the images, with all the translation stuff,
etc. etc.

For releases, though, we would auto-generate the packages, one per
language.  Ultimately, we've spoken of generating packages on demand for
the user, selecting content based on metadata.