[Clipart] Logo Contest

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sun Jul 18 14:14:42 PDT 2004

Alberto Simões <hashashin at gmail.com> writes:

>> I'd suggest spreading word about it and soliciting submissions at
>> the inkscape-user list, sodipodi, etc.
>
> True. Anybody subscribed to some/all of them can help in this task?

I'd think it would make sense to take a submission from anyone who
hears about it and wants to participate, assuming they're willing to
meet the requisite criteria (e.g., allow us to freely use and
distribute the logo).

I assume the prize on offer is gratitude and recognition and
satisfaction in a job well done?

> The decision process: do you preffer us to decide, or open a poll
> about it?

IMO, A poll doesn't really provide for allowing the relative merits of
different options to be discussed (e.g., this submission scales down
reasonably well to small dimensions for use as a recognizeable
bookmark icon, but that one looks better in greyscale).  Voters don't
always think about these things.

It's not that I want to exclude anyone from the decision process, I'm
just not sure an undiscussed vote is the best way to weigh all the
angles.  Voting is great for some things, and if we ever had a contest
for submitting clipart collections that would probably be the way to
go, but for a logo you're going to have to live with the choice that's
made when you use the logo in a fairly wide variety of circumstances.
Popularity isn't the only important consideration.

> Agree. My vote is a logo for each six months. Of course, we need to
> create a logo archive.  All the submited logos continue in the
> contest for the next semester...

I think we should leave open the _option_ of sticking with the same
logo indefinitely if we should happen to decide we really like it, but
I agree that we should only promise a limited timeframe, and six
months seems as good as anything to me.