[slightly OT] Re: [Clipart] Comma-separated keywords in metadata

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sun Jul 18 18:21:42 PDT 2004

Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie> writes:

> JAR (java archive) is a zip file with a manifest (last time I made one
> the manifest was not XML but this may have changed it has been years).
>
> A lot of the OpenOffice documentation describes SXW as a JAR, not
> surprising it being from Sun Microsystems but it has an XML manifest.

So we should probably specify a manifest in our format, then (if we
create our own; we might use an existing format, like the one Bryce
was talking about from Inkscape, if it does everything we need -- or
if not we could expand on it, if it's flexible enough to _allow_ us to
do everything we need).

>> The thumbnails spec says one .thumbnails directory in one place.
>> We'll have to adapt it to use a directory inside the package,
>> though.
>
> [the slightly offtopic bit...]
>
> The subdirs everywhere can be a useful approach, it allows you to
> use up the space where it is available rather than having to keep
> all the thumbnails in one place (ie i dont want to use up all the
> space in my home partition on thumbnails of files on a data
> partition).

Personally, I can definitely see that[1], but given the intention of
the thumbnails spec (to allow the same thumbnails to be used by many
apps) and the statement I've seen on this list to the effect that
several major apps including the Gimp are using it already, I think it
would be useful for us to support the same thumbnails spec, inasmuch
as we can, even if it's not designed the way I would have designed it.

And anyway, we're putting our thumbnails inside of the same package
(zip or jar or whatever we end up with) as the images, so there aren't
going to be partition issues for us; the partition space issue may
crop up when software starts unpacking and installing our packages,
but that's an issue the software doing the unpacking is going to have
to deal with as gracefully as it can, IMO.  Even if we abandon the
thumbnail spec and do thumbnails our own way, that's still true.

[1] Having a long history of multibooting, I have data on umpteen
    partitions scattered across enough drives that I'd have to stop
    and count and doublecheck my counting to be sure how many.