[Clipart] logo contest

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Tue Jul 20 20:59:53 PDT 2004

Nicu Buculei <nicu at apsro.com> writes:

> that i want to see is some style guidelines for the logo:

> - the title should be openclipart.org, openclipart, Open Clip Art
>   Project, Open ClipArt Library etc.

IMO, those are all *way* too long to go in a logo.  A logo needs to be
clearly recognizeable at a glance, at a distance.  It needs to be
recognizeable scaled down to icon sizes (32x32 or 48x48 pixels for
desktops; ideally it should even be recognizeable at bookmark icon
size, 16x16 pixels, though that's asking a lot).

Though if we get larger submissions, we might still be able to use
them in the website e.g. as banners, to spruce things up a bit.

> - content: abstract vs. descriptive (mascot?)

I'm ambivalent about whether it's abstract or representative.

> - colors: keep the number of colors low (for printing, t-shirts
> etc.) or no ...and more

Yeah.  Ideally it should be clearly recognizeable desaturated (i.e.,
greyscale), so adjascent colors need to have good gamma contrast.  And
yes, keeping the number of colors down is good, though I would
hesitate to set a hard limit.