[Clipart] Is anyone working on categorizing the existing images?

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Tue Jun 8 22:26:17 PDT 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> I don't want to add unecessary complexity to your project but I did not
> see how you adress I18N. It makes sense for users to enter images with
> categorisation in english but at some point, it would be nice if end
> users could search the database in their language.

Hmm, good point.  It does add some complexity, but perhaps could be
handled via a couple more tables:

CREATE TABLE language (
    id                  INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
    name                VARCHAR(255)
);

CREATE TABLE category_translation (
    category_id        INT,
    language_id        INT,
    translated_name    VARCHAR(255)
);

> As for the choice between strong and weak categorisation, i would prefer
> weak. The way I see it is that categories are just keywords. This let
> the user create a 'package' of images based on keywords, and cross
> strong category boundaries. If I search farm, I'd like to see 'farm
> animals', 'farm tools' and 'farm houses'. Weak category is also much
> easier to administer, you need no central authority.

Agreed.

> One weakness of the database, as you propose here, is that you cannot
> install it easily and distribute it with a GNU/Linux distrib.

Oh?  Why not?