[Clipart] Tasks for 'openclipart' package

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Wed Jun 9 11:20:41 PDT 2004

Here are some things I would like to have these four things done before
it's packaged up:

   * For each image, indicate who contributed it.  This should be
     placed in the SVG using the syntax we got from CreativeCommons.
   * Combine directories that should go together (misc, computers, etc.)
     - But only after we have attribution straightened out
   * Replace niku's items with the newer ones.  Perhaps consider leaving
     niku's stuff out of this package, if he'll be providing his own,
     if that's easier for him.
   * Make the batchsvgtopng script work

There's a lot more that should be done, like website improvements, a
database, etc. but some of those ideas will be a *lot* of work, and
aren't strictly required for producing a release.  The above four things
I consider to be a sufficient amount to bite off and chew for one
release; the others can be done in the future.

I especially could use assistance with the first task because it will
take a lot of time otherwise, and the last task, because I think others
have a better idea of what is needed from the png's than me.

For tagging the contributions, there are examples of the CreativeCommons
syntax in a few files already.  I figure if people want to help with
this, it's easy - just do a cvs checkout and work through the files
directory by directory.  The hard part is figuring out who submitted
it.  Images that we don't know who submitted them will need to be
removed, I guess.

Also, this release of this package is not intended to be the be-all and
end-all of everything; like I mentioned before, for this release I'm
leaving the png-only clipart as separate packages, and am leaving the
flags out, since I think Sodipodi is still maintaining that; hopefully
they'll make a new release of that.  In general, if someone else wishes
to maintain a subset of the clipart, then we should just mirror their
packages; this openclipart package should just be for items that aren't
being maintained as part of other packages.