[Clipart] Is anyone working on categorizing the existing images?

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Wed Jun 9 12:46:46 PDT 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:

> Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:21:03 +0200
> From: Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl at huftis.org>
> To: clipart at freedesktop.org
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] Is anyone working on categorizing the existing
>     images?
>
> "Áki G. Karlsson" <aki at akademia.is> wrote in
> news:opr89988gcbnhb89 at localhost:
>
> > Can't we just have both?
> >
> > I mean, a limited number of strong categories,
>
> Or strong keywords. In other words, a *controlled* vocabulary of
> keywords (containg e.g. 'France, food and flags'). Just using
> free-form keywords will lead to lots of different keywords that
> mean ~the same thing (cf. IMDb). A controlled vocabulary avoids
> this. Trying to create only a fixed hierarchy, and shoe-horning
> each image into one category is bound to fail.

(sidenote: A Controlled Vocabulary of special words sounds a bit like Wiki
words to me.)

> In addition to the controlled vocabulary of keywords, we can have
> a hierarchy structure based on these strong keywords.
>
> The point is: Images aren't placed in hierarchical categories,
> they have keywords assigned to them. The hierarchy is a separate
> thing.
>
> The hierarchy could look like this:
>
> Countries
>   Flags
>   Maps
>   Individual countries
>     France
>
> Food
>   Fruit and vegetables
>   Meat
>   Drink
>

> But is this metadata stored in the SVG files localisable?

XMP meta data is localisable.  (tried to find a vaguely relevant link:)
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:r9Ln2BLRg6oJ:partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/xmp/pdf/MetadataFramework.pdf+adobe+xmp+lang&hl=en#26

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/