[Clipart] Tasks for 'openclipart' package

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Wed Jun 9 13:48:51 PDT 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>
> >    * Replace niku's items with the newer ones.  Perhaps consider leaving
> >      niku's stuff out of this package, if he'll be providing his own,
> >      if that's easier for him.
>
> It would be nice if our project offered a comprehensive download with all
> clipart. That way it would be easy to go to one place and download only
> one tarball.

True, especially as the number of packages grows.  However at this point
in time the issue is one of maintenance.  If other people are actively
maintaining clipart packages, then I don't want to duplicate effort,
since there's enough to do with what isn't being actively maintained.  ;-)

If someone wants to set up a package-o-packages or something, that'd be
great.

> >    * Make the batchsvgtopng script work
>
> Where is this (our?) batchsvgtopng available for download? So we can test
> it.

It's in the package.  Get the emodule 'openclipart' from our CVS and
it is in the root directory.  Thanks.

> > leaving the png-only clipart as separate packages, and am leaving the
> > flags out, since I think Sodipodi is still maintaining that; hopefully
> > they'll make a new release of that.  In general, if someone else wishes
> > to maintain a subset of the clipart, then we should just mirror their
> > packages; this openclipart package should just be for items that aren't
> > being maintained as part of other packages.
>
> If we can we should still include other clipart in ours.

The issue for me, though, is maintenance.  For example, since niku has
been continuing development of his work and made improvements, now I'm
faced with fishing out his items from the current package and replacing
them with the new ones, perhaps including recategorizing or re-adding
the XMP data.  And Niku is a best case example, because he works closely
with us, and I'm sure will be quite willing to help figure out a good
solution.  For other clipart, though, we may not have any contact with
the maintaners at all, so would need to do major maintenance revision
work each time they release a new package of their work.