[Clipart] Is anyone working on categorizing the existing images?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Jun 10 10:34:55 PDT 2004

I agree. IMO the best approach is definitely this emergent keyword
system, but think that part of our job as "librarians" is to encourage
the community to help comment on the graphics and possibly add to the
metadata. We could do this by both having this pool of new clipart with
some form of low barrier reputation and comment system on submissions.
Possibly, fields from the metadata could even be tweaked more by users
beyond requiring the initial submitter (author or group of authors) to
fill in required fields for their submission.

If we consider that basically one person's categorization of the clipart
repository would be like this Microsoft site's basket system
(http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ - which I think is brilliant),
then we could have like Bob's clipart, Jim's clipart, etc, where the
emphasis on different people's preferences (like iTunes playlist) is
promoted. Therefore, if I was interested in these areas, logos, cities,
new york, then my selections would represent my interests.

Therefore, if we wanted to release packages, we could have an official
Librarian (Open Clip Art Project) package that would be some standard
categorization scheme that we could learn from an established project
like Yahoo or WIKIpedia, but this should not deny the importance of
allowing users of the system to be able to chart through and identify
their own favorite selections.

I mean, what is cooler, Google or Yahoo's category system??? I think
that the importance of empowering the user should be key, as this shift
to user's choice is primed.

As I posted before, I think our goal should be to tend to data and
encourage the growth of the community supporting the data, and not to
explicitly harvest and develop pre-defined categories. Also, our
releases are not standard releases like a software project, but rather
our releases should coincide with the development of the system of
dealing with submissions, which currently is web-only (but will expand).
I do think though that Bryce is totally right on on release early,
release often, and also us putting out official packages...I just want
us to consider the difference in running this as an Open Source project
vs. Open Content project.

Anyway, I need to pick up a shovel and do some development because I've
talked more than I've worked on this project in the last few.

Thoughts? I'm heading over to look at the roadmap. Time to sign up for
some tasks.

Jon

PS: So check this out. I'm going to be on a panel in NOVEMBER in at the
sfmoma.org on Open Source Art it seems. Thus, the panel is going to
consist of myself, Greg Niemeyer (a prof and artist at UCBerkeley), and
then someone from Creative Commons). I talked up the project last night
and I think we are so on the right path with how we are dealing with
this project. Everyone I talk to about it is interested both in metadata
and then the search systems and how we handle keywords. Also, I've
talked to several other people who want to adapt our system when in
place to other types of media like photos and video.

Graduate Researcher
Visual Arts Department

PO BOX 948667
LA JOLLA, CA