[Clipart] Tasks for 'openclipart' package

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Sat Jun 12 22:23:20 PDT 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> Here are some things I would like to have these four things done before
> it's packaged up:

All these tasks are accomplished.

>    * For each image, indicate who contributed it.  This should be
>      placed in the SVG using the syntax we got from CreativeCommons.

I decided to take a different angle on this.  Instead of adding metadata
for each image (which would have been impossible since for most images
we don't know who made them), I instead focused on filtering out images
that did *not* have this info.  This puts the burden of generating the
metadata on the artist (or their helpers), which is a better approach
because it is scalable.

>    * Combine directories that should go together (misc, computers, etc.)
>      - But only after we have attribution straightened out

Since with the filter the only svg's that passed were some of the
uk_road_map, so this issue went away.

>    * Replace niku's items with the newer ones.  Perhaps consider leaving
>      niku's stuff out of this package, if he'll be providing his own,
>      if that's easier for him.

Niku's items did not have metadata, so this issue also went away.

>    * Make the batchsvgtopng script work

Instead of doing this, I simply implemented the feature in the generator
script, and included the .png thumbnails in the package.  It was
sounding like getting this to work on Windows was going to be a bear.  I
am concerned that including .png's in the package is going to pose a
package bloat problem down the road, but I guess we can deal with that
when we get there.